U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command
Point of Contact:
Chuck Dasey, (301) 619-7071
March 10, 2000
For Immediate Release:
Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program for Fiscal Year 2000
The Fiscal Year (FY) 2000 Defense Appropriations Act provides $175M to the Department of Defense Breast Cancer Research Program (BCRP) to support innovative research directed toward the eradication of breast cancer. This program has been administered since FY92 by the U.S. Army Medical Research and Materiel Command through the Office of the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP).
Proposals are sought across all aspects of research including all disciplines within the basic, clinical, psychosocial, behavioral, epidemiological, sociocultural, and environmental sciences; nursing; occupational health; alternative therapies; public health and policy; and economics. Additionally, proposals that address the needs of minority, low-income, rural, and other underrepresented and/or medically underserved populations are encouraged.
The programmatic strategy for the FY00 BCRP is to fund proposals in three categories: Research, Infrastructure, and Training/Recruitment. Detailed descriptions of the fourteen different award mechanisms, evaluation criteria, and proposal submission requirements can be found in the FY00 Program Announcement. This document may be downloaded from the CDMRP web site at http://cdmrp.army.mil/bcrp/.
Four new FY00 award mechanisms include:
- Clinical Bridge Awards - to support critical pre-clinical or post-clinical trial research with high potential for imminent clinical application
- Virtual Breast Cancer Center of Excellence Awards to establish virtual, electronic centers that address an overarching problem in breast cancer (pre-proposal deadline April 19, 2000)
- Behavioral Center of Excellence Awards to establish multidisciplinary research centers at the frontier of behavioral research
- Undergraduate Summer Research Training Program Awards to provide research opportunities for undergraduate students and to encourage them to pursue careers in breast cancer research.
- Idea Awards
- Clinical Translational Research (CTR) Awards (pre-proposal deadline April 19, 2000)
- Collaborative-CTR Awards (pre-proposal deadline April 19, 2000)
- Predoctoral Fellowship Awards
- Postdoctoral Fellowship and CTR Postdoctoral Fellowship Awards
- Career Development and CTR Career Development Awards
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities and Minority Institutions (HBCU/MI) Focused Training Awards
- HBCU/MI Partnership Training Awards.