Released: April 19, 2021
Defense Health Program
Department of Defense Hearing Restoration Research Program
Anticipated Funding Opportunities for Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21)
The FY21 Defense Appropriations Act provides funding to the Department of Defense Hearing Restoration Research Program (HRRP) to support promising, necessary research for the treatment of auditory system injury. The managing agent for the anticipated program announcements/funding opportunities is the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) at the U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command (USAMRDC).
The HRRP is providing the information in this pre-announcement to allow investigators time to plan and develop ideas for submission to the anticipated FY21 funding opportunities. This pre-announcement should not be construed as an obligation by the Government. The FY21 HRRP program announcement and General Application Instructions for the following award mechanism will be posted on the Grants.gov website. Pre-application and application deadlines will be available when the program announcement is released.
Applications submitted to the FY21 HRRP must address one or more of the following Focus Areas:
- Accelerate translation of biological regeneration/repair mechanisms into therapies that treat auditory system injury and restore auditory function. For example, but not limited to:
- Hair cell regeneration/repair/recovery
- Neural regeneration/repair/recovery
- Treatment for synaptopathy and hidden hearing loss
- Diagnostic tests that help differentiate sensory, neural, synaptic, and central processing disorders, that may inform applicability and outcomes for current or future hearing restoration therapeutics.
- Develop reliable in-vitro human models to facilitate the understanding, derivation and characterization of human auditory cells, and/or to facilitate the evaluation of hearing restoration therapies.
- Develop and/or validate techniques/methods beyond the audiogram to diagnose acute auditory system injury in austere or remote environments. For example, but not limited to, simple and rapid assessments that are compatible with portable platforms.
|Award Mechanism||Eligibility||Key Mechanism Elements||Funding|
|Focused Research Award||Independent investigators at all academic levels (or equivalent) are eligible to submit applications.||
Preproposal is required; application submission is by invitation only.
Funding Level 1:
Funding Level 2:
Funding Level 2 with Pilot Clinical Trial Option:
A pre-application is required and must be submitted through the electronic Biomedical Research Application Portal (eBRAP) at https://eBRAP.org prior to the pre-application deadline. All applications must conform to the final Program Announcements and General Application Instructions that will be available for electronic downloading from the Grants.gov website. The application package containing the required forms for each award mechanism will also be found on Grants.gov. A listing of all CDMRP and other USAMRDC extramural funding opportunities can be obtained on the Grants.gov website by performing a basic search using CFDA Number 12.420.
Submission deadlines are not available until the Program Announcements are released. For email notification when Program Announcements are released, subscribe to program-specific news and updates under “Email Subscriptions” on the eBRAP homepage at https://eBRAP.org. For more information about the HRRP or other CDMRP-administered programs, please visit the CDMRP website (https://cdmrp.army.mil).
Point of Contact:
CDMRP Public Affairs
Last updated Monday, April 19, 2021