Released: January 22, 2021
Defense Health Program
Department of Defense Lung Cancer Research Program
Anticipated Funding Opportunities for Fiscal Year 2021 (FY21)
The FY21 Defense Appropriations Act provides funding to the Department of Defense Lung Cancer Research Program (LCRP) to support innovative, high-impact lung cancer research. As directed by the Office of the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs, the Defense Health Agency J9, Research and Development Directorate manages the Defense Health Program (DHP) Research, Development, Test, and Evaluation (RDT&E) appropriation. The managing agent for the anticipated Program Announcements/Funding Opportunities is the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Programs (CDMRP) at the U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command (USAMRDC).
The LCRP is providing the information in this pre-announcement to allow investigators time to plan and develop ideas for submission to the anticipated FY21 funding opportunities. This pre-announcement should not be construed as an obligation by the Government. The FY21 LCRP Program Announcements and General Application Instructions for the following award mechanisms will be posted on the Grants.gov website. Pre-application and application deadlines will be available when the Program Announcements are released.
Applications submitted to the FY21 LCRP must address one or more of the following Areas of Emphasis:
- Identify innovative strategies for prevention of the occurrence of lung cancer.
- Identify innovative strategies for the screening and early detection of lung cancer.
- Understand the molecular mechanisms of initiation and progression to lung cancer.
- Understand contributors to lung cancer development other than tobacco.
- Identify innovative strategies for the treatment of lung cancer.
- Identify innovative strategies for the prevention of recurrence of or metastases from lung cancer.
- Develop or optimize prognostic or predictive markers to assist with therapeutic decision-making.
- Understand mechanisms of resistance to treatment (primary and secondary).
- Identify innovative strategies for lung cancer care delivery (clinical management/surveillance/symptom management).
- Understand factors that contribute to the health disparities in lung cancer, such as biological contributors; environmental, social, and cultural factors; and access to health care.
|Award Mechanism||Eligibility||Key Mechanism Elements||Funding|
|Concept Award||Investigators at all academic levels.||
|Career Development Award||
|Idea Development Award||
Established Investigators: Independent investigators at or above the level of Assistant Professor (or equivalent); or
New Investigators: Investigators that meet the following criteria by the application submission deadline date:
|Investigator-Initiated Translational Research Award||Independent investigators at or above the level of Assistant Professor (or equivalent).||
|Clinical Translational Research Partnership Award||Investigators at or above the level of Assistant Professor (or equivalent).||
A pre-application is required and must be submitted through the electronic Biomedical Research Application Portal (eBRAP) at https://eBRAP.org prior to the pre-application deadline. All applications must conform to the final Program Announcements and General Application Instructions that will be available for electronic downloading from the Grants.gov website. The application package containing the required forms for each award mechanism will also be found on Grants.gov. A listing of all CDMRP and other USAMRDC extramural funding opportunities can be obtained on the Grants.gov website by performing a basic search using CFDA Number 12.420.
Submission deadlines are not available until the Program Announcements are released. For email notification when Program Announcements are released, subscribe to program-specific news and updates under “Email Subscriptions” on the eBRAP homepage at https://eBRAP.org. For more information about the LCRP or other CDMRP-administered programs, please visit the CDMRP website (https://cdmrp.army.mil).
Point of Contact:
CDMRP Public Affairs
Last updated Friday, January 22, 2021